Friday, June 10, 2005

Pea Island


The waves at Pea Island were just right for body surfing, I caught some great rides. Lucha was a happy wet sandy dog, she sat next to my towel looking beyond the horizon with her nose in the air until the suns warmth and the waves crash and rhythm lulled her to sleep.
It’s seeping in that I am alone on this journey, my constant companion, Lucha, a border collie/golden retriever dog, is my side kick and I depend on her just as much as she does me. I watch her every move making sure she is happy and secure in our transition. We do the same things, swim in the ocean, stare at the birds, walk, run, sleep and eat. I brush, massage, and wash her. I crave her licks, love, and playfulness. I am concerned when she looks unhappy or uncomfortable, it makes me feel sad or uncomfortable too when I know she is not happy. I am on the eastern edge, it feels very vulnerable, the Outer banks. Lots of shipwrecks, and pirate fighting took place here.

No comments: