Thursday, June 09, 2005

Kill Devil Hills, Outer Banks North Carolina

June 6th- 8th
My first stop was to pick up keys to the cottage. Yes! In my communication with Linda Harris, my next store neighbor in San Francisco, I discovered that her brother has a cottage in the Outer Banks at Kill Devils Hill, North Carolina. It is available and I could stay there if I wanted. So I gladly accepted the offer and arrived to Elizabeth City where Linda’s moms house is to pick up the keys. I drove on Hwy 17 leaving Virginia. As you enter the highway there is a huge sign that says, “28 people died on this road sense 1988, please drive safe.” My shoulders tensed and I prepared to drive super safe. The highway parallels The Great Dismal Swamp Canal. The water looked black and thick, it was really creepy. I was too nervous to pull off and look at the water more closely because of the fast trucks and cars and of course the sign I had seen at the entrance, I just wanted to make it to the other end. As I pulled into Elizabeth City, it downpours, my windshield wipers are on high speed and I can barley see. Somehow I find Linda’s moms house, a bit of sun breaks through the rain. I pick up the keys, visit briefly taking a moment to look at the old photographs and find out a little bit of history. Linda’s mom has a beautiful well kept garden and a cozy little home. I thank her and continue the last hour to get to the cottage. So here I am, the ocean is a block away, the water is blue and warm, I have seen dolphins swimming everyday, Lucha is allowed on the beach with a leash in certain areas, and after 6pm anywhere because the lifeguards are gone, so this is paradise and I will be here for awhile. The next stop will be Durham.

No comments: