Friday, June 17, 2005

Elsewhere in Greensboro


The picture on the left is where I slept at Elsewhere, it was a little fort underneath a table full of toys and knicknacks. Elsewhere was started by George Scheer. His grandma owned a three-story thrift store and when she passed away he decided to make the space a place where artist could come and interact with her collection, make art, and do projects there, but never sell or allow for the items to leave. So yes, you walk in and I think the picture I took on the right is blurry, but wow, the place kinda feels blurry because there is so much stuff and it is difficult to focus on any one item. I had a fun time exploring inside Elsewhere, there were so many familiar items that I have collected and used in my art work. George gave me a tour and explanation of how they were organizing Elsewhere. There was an artist leaving and a few artists arriving when I showed up. I jumped in and helped one of the artists paint a room that she was going to live in and make artwork in. The place is overwhelming with so much stuff, three floors of stuff and it seemed so important for Sara who was interning their for the summer, to carve out a space to think and reflect in, away from all of the stuff. She was studying the sociology of art historians and theory towards art studio practice and critiques, fascinating stuff, I thoroughly enjoyed talking with her. Since I was a visitor and not there as an artist, I spent time talking with the artist and interns, and playing my banjo in the Elsewhere’s alleyway. I am very inspired with George’s idea and am curious to see how it evolves.

No comments: